About Me

My photo
I am an artist working in Water Color, Oils, Glass and wood in North Central Indiana. I enjoy Plein Aire work the most but often find myself in the studio during the winter when the weather is less than desirable for working on location. I have always been an artist, memories of drawing are some of my oldest. My early influence came from looking at old magazine covers done by Norman Rockwell. Later I discovered the photography of Edward Curtis as he had struggled to capture the American Indians of the Southwest before that culture completely disappeared. then I found Andrew Wyeth and knew what I wanted to paint. The Egg Tempera and Water Color Paintings of Andrew Wyeth were simply wonderful and I was forever committed to painting the rural landscape and those that live there. It was then I realized I would never again see the land as I had before I painted it. Soon after it was Winslow Homer and his Water Colors that kept feeding my interest in this medium and a traditional approach to my art. While I left the life as a professional artist for a time I find my return to it at this point in my life refreshing. Life is a journey and I am turning towards home. Mike Yazel

Monday, February 8, 2010

Hoyts Pasture


This pasture is owned by a friend and is about 4 miles from our place. It is just a nice old pasture with rolling ground and a stream runs through it along with old fence lines and some old building here and there. These type of places are just about gone, almost no one grazes livestock anymore just feed lots. The old chicken house in the upper right has the needed southern exposer for good egg production during the dark winter months but has not seen a chicken in decades. These small farm settings are among my favorites and I did this one in the Water Color shown here and the Oil shown below. The setting was so nice I had to do both. I did the Oil first and was not satisfied with it and went back and did the Water Color. Then I went back and made a few adjustments to the Oil and was much happier with it. Part of the problem was the dreary weather I have been working in. I try to only paint in natural light which has been difficult lately since we have been living under the dreaded permacloud that has been anchored over the midwest. We had sun this past weekend and it was wonderful of course now we have another snowstorm bearing down on us! Enjoy the paintings! 



Hoyts Pasture in Oil on Panel

No comments:

Post a Comment