About Me

My photo
I am an artist working in Water Color, Oils, Glass and wood in North Central Indiana. I enjoy Plein Aire work the most but often find myself in the studio during the winter when the weather is less than desirable for working on location. I have always been an artist, memories of drawing are some of my oldest. My early influence came from looking at old magazine covers done by Norman Rockwell. Later I discovered the photography of Edward Curtis as he had struggled to capture the American Indians of the Southwest before that culture completely disappeared. then I found Andrew Wyeth and knew what I wanted to paint. The Egg Tempera and Water Color Paintings of Andrew Wyeth were simply wonderful and I was forever committed to painting the rural landscape and those that live there. It was then I realized I would never again see the land as I had before I painted it. Soon after it was Winslow Homer and his Water Colors that kept feeding my interest in this medium and a traditional approach to my art. While I left the life as a professional artist for a time I find my return to it at this point in my life refreshing. Life is a journey and I am turning towards home. Mike Yazel

Friday, February 19, 2010

Finished Bible Boxes

  Okay I finally got things finished up and some pictures so I can post them These are the Walnut box I showed the carving in progress on and another in Sassafras I finished up today. All of the hinges are forged in my shop which I will try and post some shots of in the future.


This is the front which I showed some of the  carving steps of.




Here is an end view. 




A shot with the lid open showing the forged hinges with the Tulip finials.




A front shot of the Sassafras Box with a slanted lid pivoting on hand forged Butterfly hinges.




An end view showing the different carving pattern on the end of the box. Both boxes are about 19 inches wide 12 inches deep and the walnut is 7 inches tall and the sassafras a little over 8 inches. The walnut box is assembled with hand cut dovetails and the Sassafras box with hand forged nails, both were typical construction for the period. These beautiful boxes were made from the early 1600's until about 1740 and then faded from the scene. Thanks for looking, this box is sold however if you are interested in a simlar box please contact me at myazel@medt.com, prices start at $395. 

No comments:

Post a Comment