About Me

My photo
I am an artist working in Water Color, Oils, Glass and wood in North Central Indiana. I enjoy Plein Aire work the most but often find myself in the studio during the winter when the weather is less than desirable for working on location. I have always been an artist, memories of drawing are some of my oldest. My early influence came from looking at old magazine covers done by Norman Rockwell. Later I discovered the photography of Edward Curtis as he had struggled to capture the American Indians of the Southwest before that culture completely disappeared. then I found Andrew Wyeth and knew what I wanted to paint. The Egg Tempera and Water Color Paintings of Andrew Wyeth were simply wonderful and I was forever committed to painting the rural landscape and those that live there. It was then I realized I would never again see the land as I had before I painted it. Soon after it was Winslow Homer and his Water Colors that kept feeding my interest in this medium and a traditional approach to my art. While I left the life as a professional artist for a time I find my return to it at this point in my life refreshing. Life is a journey and I am turning towards home. Mike Yazel

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Evening Light


This small oil was done from some reference photos taken last Saturday evening. The light was just wonderful but the biting wind and temps in the teens was more than I wanted to work on location. The light reflected across the snow is sneaking in between the large barn and another smaller building that appears to have been used as a grainery. This shaft of light just cuts right across the snow separating the cool blue shadows from the bright warmth of the setting sun. It strikes the old garage and windmill tower that now serves as an electrical pole. In the distance the harvested fields glow in the evening light waiting for the warmth of spring. This is another of what will be many paintings of the this farm as there is material here for several wonderful paintings. One of the things that makes this farm so interesting is that it is still a complete farm with all of its outbuildings in tact and pretty good shape. The play of light around all of these structures just creates an almost endless set of possibilities for the artist. Thanks for stopping by and having a look, check back often as I will be posting here several times most weeks.
This painting is 8x10 inches, oil on panel and available for purchase. It is priced at $95 and will ship once dry and varnished which will be about 6 weeks from the time of this posting. You can purchase it here Etsy


No comments:

Post a Comment