About Me

My photo
I am an artist working in Water Color, Oils, Glass and wood in North Central Indiana. I enjoy Plein Aire work the most but often find myself in the studio during the winter when the weather is less than desirable for working on location. I have always been an artist, memories of drawing are some of my oldest. My early influence came from looking at old magazine covers done by Norman Rockwell. Later I discovered the photography of Edward Curtis as he had struggled to capture the American Indians of the Southwest before that culture completely disappeared. then I found Andrew Wyeth and knew what I wanted to paint. The Egg Tempera and Water Color Paintings of Andrew Wyeth were simply wonderful and I was forever committed to painting the rural landscape and those that live there. It was then I realized I would never again see the land as I had before I painted it. Soon after it was Winslow Homer and his Water Colors that kept feeding my interest in this medium and a traditional approach to my art. While I left the life as a professional artist for a time I find my return to it at this point in my life refreshing. Life is a journey and I am turning towards home. Mike Yazel

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Summer Break



    I took a little break from winter yesterday and painted a scene from last summer. Our big old farmhouse is cold on windy days when the temperatures struggle to break into the 20's and I was just plain tired of being cold. I wanted to do something that at least looked warm so I settled on this scene which is the view looking south from our house across a small field and down the road. The reference photos were taken on a misty summer morning early in the year. You can always tell the what part of summer you are in by how green the greens are. While this won't mean much to the average person every landscape artist knows just what I am talking about. The greens of spring are light and vibrant as all of the growth is new and succulent.  As summer wears on the new growth on the plants begins to harden out and the greens darken. By late summer more colors begin to creep into the landscape, The first hint of the coming glory of the fall color starts to appear long before the first cool nights and frosty mornings let us know summer has ended.
   This painting is oil on panel, it is 8x10 inches in size and painted with artist grade W&N oil paints. This piece is available at this time, it is priced at $85.00 but will not ship until dried and varnished which will be about 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment