About Me

My photo
I am an artist working in Water Color, Oils, Glass and wood in North Central Indiana. I enjoy Plein Aire work the most but often find myself in the studio during the winter when the weather is less than desirable for working on location. I have always been an artist, memories of drawing are some of my oldest. My early influence came from looking at old magazine covers done by Norman Rockwell. Later I discovered the photography of Edward Curtis as he had struggled to capture the American Indians of the Southwest before that culture completely disappeared. then I found Andrew Wyeth and knew what I wanted to paint. The Egg Tempera and Water Color Paintings of Andrew Wyeth were simply wonderful and I was forever committed to painting the rural landscape and those that live there. It was then I realized I would never again see the land as I had before I painted it. Soon after it was Winslow Homer and his Water Colors that kept feeding my interest in this medium and a traditional approach to my art. While I left the life as a professional artist for a time I find my return to it at this point in my life refreshing. Life is a journey and I am turning towards home. Mike Yazel

Friday, January 29, 2010

Living History


Here is something a lot different than I normally paint. A long time ago I did a lot portraits but had not been so inclined for many years but got the urge and thought I would try some again. This gentleman is a participant at a Living History event I attend during the summer. Many people spend a tremendous amount of time and money researching and recreating the persona of individuals from our early history as a country. This one has recreated an Eastern Woodland Indian in a very striking manner. I enjoy these events and all of the unique individuals that attend them. There will be everything from various Native Americans to all facets of the Militaries that were active during the early years of this nation. My wife and I often set up at these events and enjoy doing the school days where school age children come out for a day of hands on history. I portray a Windsor Chair maker and my wife sets up as a spinner, spinning the wool from the Icelandic sheep we raise. 
The painting is 8x10 inches and available for purchase but will not ship until dry and varnished which will be 4-6 weeks. Price is $145
  

No comments:

Post a Comment